Sunday, January 5, 2014

Take this job and shove it...

Or don't.

I'm not sure.

It's that time of year where, in my line of work, the jobs start to pop up. People have decided they are going to retire, move away, or just move on, and the possibilities start to make themselves known. In turn, I start to focus on the realities of my current job situation, and the potential that lies elsewhere.

I want to be the kind of person who can say, "You know what? My job isn't perfect, but I am going to make the best of it!". I really do. Maybe I could stay there a few years and just deal with it. Maybe? Maybe not. The reality is that I'm the kind of person who says, "Why put up with a situation where I have limited support and an aesthetically unappealing (not to mention unsanitary) work space, especially when I go elsewhere and get a better deal (possibly even more money)?" I know it is just work, as some people are quick to point out, but it is what I do the majority of the week. It's a big deal.

There is still some time to figure out what steps I will take next, but right now, I'm already feeling that itch to throw my name in the hat for some opportunities. When I took my current job, I vowed to myself that I would stay there for a while, but I am not completely sure that is a vow I will be able to keep when it's all said and done. I feel like I'm not really reaching my potential where I am with what I am doing, and I don't think it's a environment that is going to allow me to get anywhere close to what I feel like I could or should be doing.

Contrary to how it might appear to others, I WANT to find a place and settle down. I WANT to stay somewhere. Not only do I want these things, but I NEED them, too. I'm just not ready to slug my way through life five days a week for the next thirty years of my life. Perhaps that sounds a bit ridiculous, but I am okay with that right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment